Hot RacesBill TrackerLegislative DirectoryOklahoma MediaNational MediaTip Hotline
OklahomaPolitical News Service
"There's a new Web log for political junkies in Oklahoma -- the Oklahoma Political News Service." -- Roll Call

“A source confirms the report in the Oklahoma Political News Service that the Ethics Commission had started looking into alleged campaign donation irregularities.” Jerry Bohnen - News Radio 1000 KTOK-AM (Oklahoma City)

Submit tips or videos to our our tipline, confidentiality guaranteed...........okpns_editor@hotmail.com



Subscribe to the daily update e-mail:

Thursday, July 20, 2006 

Barnett Email To Republican Activists

Below is a copy of an e-mail the Barnett campaign is sending to Republican activists statewide. The e-mail is responding to the recent "negative campaign" of his opponent Dan Keating. The Barnett camp released these ads two days ago detailing Keating's past financial problems. July 19, 2006 Fellow Republicans, My opponent has launched a vicious, negative campaign against me in the past two days. I am writing to you today to let you know the truth, rather than the gross distortions he has presented. I am accused of donating to Democrats. It is true: I have contributed to some Democrats in the past, and I have never denied it. The contributions were to those who helped promote economic development in eastern Oklahoma. However, my support of the Oklahoma Republican Party and Republican candidates is undeniable. In the current election cycle, I have contributed $6,000 to individual Republican legislative and statewide candidates, $1,000 to the Republican State House Committee, and $2,500 to the Oklahoma Republican Party. My opponent has given little to Republican candidates. My opponent insinuates that I am not pro-life. Nothing could be further from the truth. I did serve on the board of Planned Parenthood of Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma more than 20 years ago when the organization focused on providing pro-family planning services to the poor, not on providing abortions. When the national organization began its radical promotion of its views on abortion, I resigned in disgust. My pro-life beliefs are well known and most recently were published in a report from Oklahomans for Life. My opponent claims my involvement with Planned Parenthood was “highlighted on (my) application for state employment.” This is a lie. I never applied for state employment. I was appointed by Governor Frank Keating first as the Secretary of Commerce and later tapped to be his chief of staff. I did provide Governor Keating with information about myself, including that I had served on that board. Do you genuinely think Governor Keating would have appointed someone who wasn’t pro-life to either position, particularly that of his chief advisor and representative? In his recent email, my opponent writes, “Oklahoma Republicans do not respond well to negative advertising.” However, that is exactly what he is guilty of. It’s offensive to me that he has chosen character assassination over a discussion of the qualifications one needs to be State Treasurer. I am sure it is offensive to other Republicans across the state, like your self. Our goal in this race should be beating Scott Meacham. That is what I am focused on and why I am campaigning hard across the state. I hope you will reject this vicious, negative campaign for what it is – a gross distortion of the truth – and that you will give me the opportunity to represent you in November’s general election with your vote on July 25th. Sincerely, Howard Barnett Candidate for State Treasurer PS: To learn more of the truth about me and my campaign for State Treasurer, visit my website – www.barnettforstatetreasurer.com – or feel free to call me at 918-499-5295. Posted at 7/20/2006 11:00:00 AM


All tips to the Oklahoma Political News Service are guaranteed confidental.
Click here to submit a tip
Advertisement













Should Oklahoma execute repeat child molesters?
Yes
No
  



 Subscribe in a reader

























Content disclaimer: Oklahoma Political News Service content posted by users does not represent the opinion of Oklahoma Political News Service. OKPNS makes no representations as to the accuracy or validity of this third-party content and is not liable in any way for the use of or reliance upon such content. Whenever possible, such information is marked with the name of the source. No content herein has been authorized by any candidate or political party.

Site designed by Set Sail Media

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Oklahoma Political News Service Copyright (C) 2006 | All Rights Reserved